Seeking STEM Professionals Passionate about Advancing STEM Education
Posted March 21 2014
TIES, Teaching Institute for Excellence in STEM, is seeking letters of interest AND resumes to fill pending opening(s) for a variety of STEM positions.
A leading innovator in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education, TIES works with regional and state economic development organizations, regional and global philanthropies, corporate social responsibility entities, and schools to advance and improve STEM curriculum and instructional program development. TIES provides STEM school design, STEM curriculum development and implementation, and STEM instructional support to schools, districts, states, and the federal government. TIES design teams have created and built some of the finest STEM schools in the United States, such as MC2 STEM High School in Cleveland, OH. TIES recognizes the importance of school design and professional development for all teachers as the basis to improve and advance the character of STEM instruction at all grade levels. TIES also recognizes the need to shift STEM instruction to focus on overall scientific understanding and reasoning rather than fragmented and isolated bits of discrete information. STEM education is trans-disciplinary in nature, offering students the ability to use project-based learning to address real-world issues that affect their families, and communities. .
The TIES team of consultants and partners includes some of the most highly recognized STEM leaders in the country. Our team excels in facilitating dynamic organizational change, developing robust, locally relevant STEM schools of excellence, and catalyzing vital partnerships within communities to ensure sustainable STEM communities of practice.
Position Posting July 16, 2015 Fab Lab Program Specialist
At TIES, The Teaching Institute for Excellence in STEM—we are committed to helping children better understand and succeed in the world by ensuring every student has access to a rich engaging STEM education. To do this we deliver dynamic, results oriented STEM education consulting services to clients around the world. We advise our clients on best practices in the design and implementation of revolutionary STEM programs serving children from early childhood thru their participation in the workforce. We know that STEM education happens everywhere—not just in the classroom—and we help communities realize their full potential by catalyzing momentum around STEM programs.
Our clients include:
- Local, state and federal government entities in the US and around the world
- National and international philanthropies focused on education and economic and workforce development
- Public and Private schools and school districts
- Business and Industry leaders focused on improving education and building a better prepared workforce
- National think tanks and communities of practice
Due to our unprecedented growth in the last several years we are looking for additional resources to help support our contract work on scaling Fab Labs across the US and internationally in schools and communities.
Title: Fab Lab Program Specialist
Travel: up to 20% of the time
Position: Contract position with hours varying based on project pipeline. The estimate is approximately 20-30 hours per week with some weeks requiring many more hours or less as required by the contracts.
Location: Remote from well equipped* home office or in one of our offices (in Ohio: Cleveland, Columbus; in MD: Baltimore; in CA: Carlsbad). (*Well equipped home office to include reliable high speed internet/video conference compatible computer/printer/fax capability/land-line phone for video conferencing.)
The Fab Lab Program Specialist will be responsible for maintaining the Google dashboard of all TIES Fab projects including scheduling and follow up with internal team and clients of contact deliverables, due dates and all meetings and teleconferences. This position is also responsible for maintaining the master calendar of TIES Fab engagements/team member and contractor deployments, and project timelines.
This person may also be called upon to provide administrative and coordinator support on-site at installations and PD sessions. The Fab Lab Program Specialist will also organize and maintain the library of Fab materials produced including installation manuals/PD materials/client correspondence/proposals and marketing materials.
The Fab Lab Program Specialist will also be a liaison with clients, funders, the Fab Foundation and other stakeholders as required to ensure transparency and timely communication of program progress updates.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self starter able to work independently
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high energy, fast paced environment
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Docs/Sheets/Forms and online survey tools
- Pleasant demeanor and ability to maintain an upbeat attitude when dealing with demanding clients
- Problem solver able to quickly assess issues and provide solutions
- Comfortable in a non-traditional organizational structure
- “Roll-up your sleeves” attitude and ability to take ownership of projects from beginning to end
- Experience working in a client centered environment
- Ability to build rapport and establish trust with a diverse community of stakeholders
- High tolerance for and adaptable to constant change resulting from our rapid growth
Helpful but not required:
- Experience in a Fab Lab or similar setting (ie. Maker space, TechShop)
- Interest/experience in education (i.e. classroom teachers)
- Personal interest in tinkering/making/engineering
- Experience in digital fabrication
Length of contract: Ongoing based on work pipeline
Interested candidates please submit your resume via our online application here.
We regret that due to the volume of applications we receive we can only contact qualified candidates.
Contact: Tiffany Brunetti Monroe/ firstname.lastname@example.org