High School Civics Curriculum Pilot Opportunity
What is SRVCE?
Supporting Readiness through Vital Civic Empowerment (SRVCE) is an inquiry-based, active learning experience for young people exploring civic participation in their own communities.
Funded by the U.S. Department of Defense under the National Defense Education Program, the SRVCE model for enhanced civics education includes five inquiry-based interdisciplinary curriculum modules aligned with national and state standards; design and delivery of professional learning resources to support teachers in implementing the curriculum; and career exploration, workforce experiences, and industry voices and profiles to bridge the gap between the classroom and the real world.
What are the benefits of participating in the SRVCE pilot?
- A free set of flexible modular curricular resources that embed civic and media literacy
education and explore civic understanding through the lenses of public service and
- A stipend of $500 for each curriculum module that is fully piloted
- Free high-quality professional development
What is expected of teachers participating in the SRVCE pilot?
- Teach and provide feedback on at least one three-week SRVCE curriculum module
between October 2022 and April 2023
- Participate in three virtual professional development events between September2022
and June 2023
- Engage in evaluation activities throughout the pilot
Who is eligible to participate in SRVCE?
The SRVCE curriculum is designed for Purple Star schools, schools with JROTC programs, and schools with at least 10% enrollment of military-connected students. While these schools will receive highest priority, teachers from other schools who sign up may be contacted to pilot if there is availability.
How do you learn more about SRVCE?
For more information about how your school can participate in SRVCE, complete the SRVCE Interest Form. Don’t delay — please complete the interest form by October 19, 2022!