The TIES + PHASTAR Partnership Lands Federal Grant
TIES, in partnership with the PHASTAR Corporation, received a grant from the Office of Naval Research in the amount of $750,000 to fund and provide program support for a Digital Fabrication Lab at Davis Aerospace and Maritime High School in the in the Cleveland Municipal School District. The project, titled “A Partnership Between Maritime High School Students and Naval Reservists Designed Around Digital Fabrication”, provides students with the resources to produce authentic design prototypes in order to solve real-world design challenges.
This project is a Department of the Navy education, outreach and workforce project in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). It involves five components that couple the Fab Lab to Davis A&M High School students and to Naval Reservists at the Naval Operational Support Center in Akron, Ohio. The components include:
- Curriculum Development and Capstone Design Incorporating Fab Lab Learning Outcomes
- Fab Faculty Teacher Professional Development Institutes
- Naval student engagement programs including SeaCadets
- On-the-job Fab Lab training opportunities for Naval Reservists
- Naval Reservist mentoring partnership with the Davis A&M High School students